Friday, July 08, 2016

Nailing the Spiral Quilting!


Well I finished the rainbow jelly roll quilt and it's at the Ag Show as I type. Made the deadline, yahh. If only I was that conscience with baby due dates! So not to let the sewing machine think its on holidays, I trimmed these mod mosaic blocks down to 13 inches, sashed the internal borders with 1.5 inches and the outer borders with 6.5 inches. Laid it out on the floor and sandwiched it. Just like that. No folding it up for a year and moving onto the next project, lets sandwich it now!


I learnt my lesson from the last quilt. Clockwise this time Helen, clockwise. Also lowered my foot pressure from 2 down to 1. Both have made a huge improvement in the movement of the fabric. Above is after two bobbins have been use, look at the outer rim of the spiral, hardly any puckering at all. I'm using exactly the same thread as from the rainbow jelly roll quilt in the last post, a pale grey of Aurifil. Its quilting like a dream, I think I have nailed the giant spiral quilting technique!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm pretty sure you are the spiral quilting queen! 😎

Robby said...

That 'practice makes perfect' thing, so true. This project is looking lovely, and you were wise to try the spiral quilting again while all was fresh in your mind. Good luck on the contest with the other piece.

ruthsplace said...

Looking fabulous as always.

karenquiltz said...

Love it! thanks for the clockwise tip, I'm going to try that!

Judyk2310 said...

Love this quilt

Unknown said...

Fabulous!